Monday, August 10, 2009

Crispity, crunchity, chicken-y!

I have a head cold. In August. Seriously, how does that happen!?

So, today I made a food comforting to my soul. Fried Chicken. It made my tummy happy though the battle rages on in my sinuses. Luckily, at this point I can still taste my food. I dread the next few days when that sense goes on a temporary vacation as it always does when I have a cold in my nose.

And yes, I am doing exactly as Mom always prescribed: getting lots of rest and forcing fluids. Hubby has since added orange juice to my fluid intake to try and kick this thing fast. We'll see who wins out.

In the mean time, my tummy is full and it's time for a nap. :)

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Overnight Oven Fried Chicken
Serves 2

2 bone in chicken quarters, skinned (or 2 thighs and 2 drummies)
low-fat buttermilk to cover (about 3/4 cup)
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup yellow coarse grain corn meal
garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
salt
Butter flavor cooking spray

In a large plastic bag, place skinned chicken quarters and buttermilk. Seal and toss to coat. Place in a bowl to catch any possible leaks. Refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix crumbs, corn meal, and seasonings to taste together in a shallow dish. Once quarter at a time, coat chicken well with crumbs. You want this to be a nice, even but thick coating.

Spray a glass dish with cooking spray. Place chicken in dish. Spray with cooking spray.

Bake for 25 minutes. Carefully flip chicken over. Be careful not to disturb the coating. Bake 25 minutes longer. Let rest 3-5 minutes before serving.

I serve this with a baby fingerling potato that has been boiled until just tender. Toss with Parmesan cheese and a light drizzling of pesto. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment