Saturday, February 22, 2020

The Return

So, here we are again.

I've had far too many lessons learned, recipe successes and failures, moves, new business opportunities, and adventures to discuss in one blog.

Rather than try to fill in the blanks, I'm just going to pick up right where I left off.

This month has been full of unpleasant surprises and challenges, but such is life right? Rather than let life get me down, I've stood up, dusted myself off, and remembered where my strength comes from. I find myself in near constant prayer. Answering phone calls from the elite few who have my number. And going back to basics in the kitchen. This is who I am. For the first time in my adult life, I'm comfortable with exactly who I am.

I have a friend who often asks how I live so frugally. A lifetime of practice? Yes, it's a question in my mind. I was raised in a small Midwest town and we have always lived this way. Why spend money you don't have to? Don't use more toilet paper than you need (I have a 3-4 square rule in my house LOL). Use real dishes (You will NOT find any paper or plastic dishes in my kitchen). Cook from scratch. Don't eat out. If you live somewhere you can fish, crab, or hunt- take advantage of it. Grow a garden, even if it's just a patio garden in pots. And more importantly? Don't spend more than you make.

That being said, I'm also a firm believer in using what you have on hand. I have had this sad banana sitting on my counter for over a week. The cats have poked at it, nibbled the stem, played hockey with it on the island. I couldn't let this poor banana go out this way. So I got to hunting down a recipe. I made one banana blondies. They were a cute little snack. Soft and less dense than banana bread. But what blew the flip flops off my feet was the brown butter icing that went over the top of the blondies. I would put that icing on pretty much any cake, bars, rice crispy bars, a spoon.... I could go on.

Instead of drooling all over my keyboard, I will just share the recipe. Enjoy!

Brown Butter Icing
Makes enough for a 9x9 cake

1/4 cup butter
6 TBS light brown sugar
2 TBS milk or cream (I used unsweetened original almond milk)
dash of salt
2 tsp good quality vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and cook until a nice amber color. Stir constantly to keep butter from burning!

When butter is desired color, add brown sugar, milk, and salt. Stir. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Cool caramel mix for 15 minutes.

Whisk in vanilla and powdered sugar.

Spread over dessert of choice, let icing set before slicing.






No comments:

Post a Comment