Monday, February 24, 2020

Super Soup

First things first! Today is my Grandma Spranger's 81st Birthday. So let me take a moment to wish her a fantastic day! I am so glad I have had the opportunity know my Gram. She raised 8 wonderful children, was a faithful and loving wife to my grandfather, a devout Catholic,  and man, can she cook!

When I smell root vegetables, I am automatically transported to her root cellar. It's a welcome smell- a dark, damp, musky onion skin smell. Of course there were also potatoes, carrots, and radishes as well. There always oodles of melons as well- musk and honey dew. It's a happy place for me. There were always jars of my grandpa's fruit lining the shelves waiting for their use over the winter. It was truly a place filled with love and care. You could see how much time and effort went into each and every thing in that room.

One thing I have always associated with her is sour dough bread. For as far back as I can remember, Gram always had sour dough starter on her counter. There was always a fresh loaf of bread or buns ready to go into the oven. She once told me that her original starter came from one of her family members in Indiana. I don't know if you've ever had to take care of sour dough starter, but that's like a child unto itself.... And this remarkable woman kept this starter fed, loved, and watered. Kudos to her!!!



Isn't she just the cutest thing ever?!

Next up is my sister by choice, Nena (Beans) who still lives back in MN. Nena has been part of my family since the 3rd grade. I am so happy to have her in my life. Her kids are my nieces and nephews
and I adore them. 
Being silly last winter during one of my visits 


This time of year is made for a hearty warm bowl of love to fight the cold temperatures. I adore her soup collection. She's got chicken and dumplings, broccoli and cheddar, wild rice and chicken, and so many more. Today I am going to share of my favorites of hers. 

If you like a Reuben sandwich, you will love this soup! Its hearty and filling, the perfect thing for a cold day. 

So get out your stock pots, kids. It's time to make some soup!

Bean's Reuben Soup

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 TBS butter
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup beef broth
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 TBS corn starch
2 TBS water
3/4 cup sauerkraut
2 cups sour cream
2 cups corned beef
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Drain the sauerkraut. Chop the cooked corned beef. 

In a large saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter until tender.

Add the chicken and beef broth. Stir in the baking soda.

Combine starch and water. Stir into the broth mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer 2 minutes, stir occasionally. 

Reduce the heat. Add kraut, sour cream, and corned beef. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Do NOT let boil, the sour cream will split if you have the heat too high. 

Add cheese. Stir until melted. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a thick slice of french bread or sour dough. 


No comments:

Post a Comment