Monday, January 9, 2012

Pear & Almond Muffins- GF

I love muffins. They are a quick and filling snack that I can throw in my bag and go.

When I went gluten free I had lost hope in ever having a tender muffin again. Most mixes and recipes produce a dense, heavy baked product. And that's just not what I think of when I think muffin.

When I saw muffin recipes in the Cooking Light Gluten Free cookbook, I will admit, I had my doubts. But I had several pears sitting on my counter that I wanted to do something with. Jon had recently purchased some pumpkin spiced almonds. I thought that the muffins would be a perfect opportunity to use them both.

Jon, who isn't a big muffin fan, gave them his approval.


I love that this recipe has no oil, no butter, no shortening of any kind- and yet the end result is super flavorful and moist. I will admit, it was a very pleasant surprise!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Pear & Almond Muffins
Makes 12 

3 medium pears, peeled and cored
1 TBS lemon juice
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup egg beaters
2 cups gluten free flour*
1 tsp xanthan gum*
1/2 tsp baking soda*
1/2 tsp baking powder*
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup almonds (I used pumpkin spiced almonds)
1 TBS powdered milk
Coarse sanding sugar

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine first 3 ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 4 minutes or until pear is very tender. Mash pear with a potato masher until pureed. Cool slightly.

Place almonds in a food processor; process until finely ground.

Combine flour, almonds, salt, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.

Combine egg beaters, vanilla, and pear puree, stirring well with a whisk. Add to almond/flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter evenly into muffin tins coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.

Bake at 350° for 23 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.

* The original recipe calls for 2 cups of a gluten free baking mix instead of gluten free flour. If you chose to go this route, check the mix for xanthan gum, baking powder, and baking soda. Omit them if they are already contained in the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment