Saturday, July 16, 2011

Coriander Salmon

I'm a Midwest girl. Minnesota born and raised in fact. That means lots of fishing.

I know I've talked about this previously, but I like love fishing. And, I enjoy eating fish on occasion.My favorite fish remains fresh walleye, lightly buttered and seasoned, grilled over charcoal with crab-apple leaves/green branches adding a beautiful sweet smoky flavor.

I have prepared freshwater fish like northern pike, sunnies, and  bluegills many ways over the years. I adore a good smoked fish (trout or salmon) while sitting next to a campfire along the North Shore of Lake Superior.

About 5 years ago I started preparing other fish. We started experimenting with catfish(best cut into bite sized pieces, breaded in cornmeal and pan fried), tilapia (best all around fish for us- we like it grilled in foil packets), grouper(Jon-boy's favorite), and fresh salmon. There have been others as well, but those are the few that seem to have stuck around.

We were at Publix grabbing a few items the other night when Jon saw the Apron's Simple Meals booth. They make samples of real food. Not just a hot dog cut up or bite of cardboard pizza, real honest to goodness food. I went on my way to pick up what we needed and noticed Jon was no longer with me. He had stopped to get himself a sample. I was surprised when he came to me and said "You have to try this salmon. And make sure you eat it with the salad, it's really good!" So I tried it. I must say, I was impressed. Enough to put it on our menu and share it with you.

It's super easy to make and only took about 20 minutes. I loved that it was refreshing and filling without feeling heavy, a great summer dish.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Pan Seared Coriander Salmon
Serves 4

3 TBS ground coriander*
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
4 salmon fillets, about 1 1/2 lbs total
2 TBS olive oil

Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Combine coriander, salt, and pepper; then coat both sides of fish.

Place oil in pan, then add fish; cook 3–4 minutes on each side or until 145°F and fish flakes easily. May be served over Chickpea Salad (recipe below)

* If you can't find coriander, substitute ground cumin.



Chickpea Salad
Serves 4

1/2 cup canned quartered artichokes, finely chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 bag baby arugula leaves (4–5 oz)
1/2 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
3 TBS red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Combine arugula, chickpeas, onions, and artichokes.

Whisk vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper until blended; add to salad. Toss and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment