Friday, April 22, 2011

Grilled Black Bean Quesadillas

I don't know if you've caught on to my dirty little secret- I have been slowly incorporating more and more meatless supper nights into my menu.

I say it's a secret because my sweet husband only recently caught on.

It started out as a break from meat (I lack the ability to properly break down/digest animal protein) once in a while. Then I realized it was helping my budget out too. So, a few months ago it turned into a once a week deal. And now, it's my favorite night of the week!

Tonight we had grilled black bean quesadillas. So good.

I made these two ways- first, I made the taco seasoned black beans. Then, I divided the beans up into two batches. To the second batch I added some leftover cooked, diced chicken.

We crisped up the tortillas on the grill for a hint of smokey flavor. Layered on the seasoned beans, a little cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and a drizzle of thinned sour cream. Top it all off with a second crispy tortilla. And just like that supper was served.

A definite keeper for this house.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Grilled Black Bean Quesadillas
Makes 4
Approx 340 calories per

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1-2 TBS taco seasoning
8 taco sized flour tortillas
2 oz reduced fat finely shredded cheddar cheese
shredded lettuce
1 medium, seeded and diced tomato
2-3 TBS reduced fat sour cream

Combine beans, taco seasoning, and 1/2 cup water in a skillet. Simmer, uncovered 8-10 minutes until thickened.* Remove from heat. Slightly mash if desired.

On a preheated grill, toast both sides of each tortilla.

To assemble: Place one tortilla on a plate. Spoon over 1/4 of the seasoned beans. Top with 1/2 oz cheese, lettuce, and tomato.

Thin the sour cream out slightly by stirring in a little water or milk until the cream drizzles easily.

Drizzle the sour cream over the fillings. Top with a second tortilla. Cut into 6 wedges. Serve.

* You can add 1/2 cup of precooked, diced chicken at this point if you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment